It’s the season for graduations, and whether you have a car-loving graduate or not, there are some great options for vehicle-themed gifts for these kids that have been pretty much released to the wild. Many graduates are thinking about road trips for celebrations, or perhaps they’re driving a good distance to college for the next step in their education. Start their next stage off right with a gift for the vehicle that will take them on their upcoming journey. Here are some ideas:
- A roadside emergency kit – A roadside emergency kit is a must for any driver, but it’s even more important for teens just flying from the nest. The kit should include items such as a basic first aid kit, jumper cables, water, a flashlight, an air compressor, tow straps, a blanket, a seat belt cutter, and a safety hammer. Some items can be stored in the trunk, but some items such as the seat belt cutter and safety hammer should be kept closer, like the glove box, for easy access.
- Apple CarPlay or Android Auto head unit – most college-bound kids are cash-strapped and driving older vehicles without the cool tech in newer rides. Consider gifting them an aftermarket head unit that supports either Apple or Android. There are many practical and economical options out there.
- A AAA membership – Some vehicles may be equipped with OnStar, but if your grad’s isn’t, you will likely want to get them a roadside assistance membership, such as the American Automobile Association (AAA). They may think it’s an old-person thing, but that’s not true. AAA provides discounts on rental cars, hotels, and even movie tickets. It’s about $50 per year, which means you can easily give them a full year (or two) of roadside protection.
- A gift card to Lyft or Uber – Whether your grad has a vehicle or not, they’ll probably have a moment in their next stage of adventure that they’ll need a ride. Lyft and Uber are easy to use and available in most locations across the country. Plus, these gifts cards may include food delivery for when your teen just wants to stay in.
- Car cleaning and detailing products – Because these kids will be practically living in their cars, products to keep it clean and fresh is a great choice. If they have high-quality products on their hands, they’re more likely to keep up on cleaning and maintenance.
- Pay for a few oil changes – Consider going into a shop that will be close to their dorm or apartment and pay for a couple of oil changes. This way you know they won’t miss these crucial maintenance needs.
- A gift card for fuel – Gas is expensive, especially for recent grads just getting on their feet. They’ll appreciate anything they can get to go toward filling their tank! Add a little extra on there so they can pop in for a treat while they’re at the gas station.
If you have a grad on your list, stop in for some great products for their vehicle, or consider purchasing them a gift card to our store so they can pick out whatever they’d like.